Built in 1951 and designed by George F. Pelham, the lobby of 1056 5th Avenue was in need of a renovation when the cooperative board approached the team at VMAD.
The dated brown marble walls and floors were removed, and replaced with a VMAD-designed combination of finishes: Calcutta Caldia marble, satin-finished brass, a curvaceous fluted-plaster wall, and a book-matched plain cut walnut desk. Organized around a central oval floor design are several seating area that provide a respite for residents entering or leaving the building. Two mid-century leather wing chairs take pride-of-place in the space, creating a thoughtful dialog with the building’s facade of the same historical period.
The graciously proportioned elevator reception room was outfitted with walnut panelling and new satin-finish brass elevator doors; new elevator cabs with synergistic designs complete the project.